Automattic builds related content, recommendations, and search for websites, e-commerce sites, blogs, and the WordPress.com Reader. We connect millions of publishers with billions of readers every month and look for ways to help new publishers build an audience. We have only just started to scratch the surface of providing engaging, relevant search results for the Open Web.
Our system runs on open source: Elasticsearch, MySQL, Spark, Kafka, HDFS (and tied together by WordPress of course).
Sound fun? It is.
Here are some things we’re looking for:
- Desire to build and refine great search experiences that tie together the pieces from across our software stack.
- Experience with Open Source search systems: Elasticsearch, Solr, Lucene.
- Great programming skills in both dynamic and compiled languages (especially PHP and Java/Scala).
- Knowledge of scaling search systems: high volume indexing and querying.
- Understanding how to combine and build signals from many sources to craft and evaluate novel search algorithms.
- Ability to take a project from idea to implementation, putting the minimal system needed into production, but with an eye on where we need to be in 5 years.
- A deep understanding of distributed computing and system performance.
- Troubleshooting skills.
We’re serious about growing diversity in the tech industry. We want to build Automattic as an environment where people love their work and show respect and empathy to those with whom we interact. Diversity typically includes, but is not limited to, differences in race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political and religious affiliation, socioeconomic background, cultural background, geographic location, disabilities and abilities, relationship status, veteran status, and age. To work on diversity means that we welcome these differences, and strive to increase the visibility of traditionally underrepresented groups. Read more about our dedication to diversity and inclusion.
HOW TO APPLY
Does this sound interesting? If yes, please send a short email to jobs @ this domain telling us about yourself and attach a résumé. Let us know what you can contribute to the team. Include the title of the position you’re applying for and your name in the subject.
Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly. We are lucky to receive hundreds of applications for every position, so try to make your application stand out. If you apply for multiple positions or send multiple emails there will be one reply.
If you’re reading this on a site other than automattic.com please ensure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.
Please answer the following questions in your cover letter. Applications without these questions answered will not be considered:
By clicking the “Apply for Job” button, you will likely be redirected to a web page outside of our website. We cannot be held responsible for external sites’ content. Please take reasonable steps to confirm that you’re actually dealing with a company representative, not an impostor.Apply for this Job