ORCID is looking for a seasoned UX expert to ensure researchers and member organizations who use our websites and applications have an excellent experience. This new role will be responsible for gathering input from users and members, crafting user journeys, and working with our team to translate these journeys into practical UX solutions.
This position will report to the QA Lead and is part of the ORCID Technical Team. This position is full time (40 hour/week) and, like all positions at ORCID, is remote.
Who we are
ORCID (https://orcid.org) aims to create a world in which all who participate in research, scholarship, and innovation are uniquely identified and connected to their contributions and affiliations, across disciplines, borders, and time. We are an international non-profit organization, with a virtual office and staff based in countries around the world. We use open tools to develop and maintain our core offering, the ORCID Registry, and collaborate with the research community to build connectors in research systems where researchers may use their ORCID iD.
UI Developer responsibilities:
- Design and implement processes to gather feedback from ORCID Registry users via analytics, A/B testing, surveys, observation and other means
- Work with the Engagement team members to extract user feedback from support tickets and member interactions
- Leverage results from user testing, analytics data and user/member feedback to prioritize projects
- Create specifications for prioritized UX/UI improvements
- Facilitate communication about UX improvements via our users’ forum, support tickets and the ORCID API listserv
- Work with Technical team to assess accessibility and provide input on improvements needed
- Document and respond to bug reports
- Audit and write documentation
- Contribute to UI code
- 3+ years experience in UX, with thorough understanding of interaction design fundamentals
- 1+ years experience designing and running user testing and other qualitative customer validation
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and one or more prototyping tools, such as Adobe XD, Sketch, or InVision
- Knowledge of accessibility best practices and testing tools
- Experience writing specifications, creating mock-ups and working with developers
- Understanding of the software development life-cycle, preferably in an Agile environment
- Experience with HTML and CSS, demonstrated by portfolio and/or work samples
- Tech-savvy and detail-oriented
- Exceptional communication skills and a strong work ethic; ability to work independently, prioritize effectively and get things done in a dynamic, unstructured environment
- Able to work during Europe and US business hours (at least half the working day should be between 12p-8p UTC)
- Ability to travel based on business needs (approximately once a quarter)
- Fluency in English is required. A second language is a plus.
Nice to have requirements
- Experience with RESTful APIs
- Experience in the scholarly publishing or academic community
- Experience working in a startup environment
- Experience working in a remote / virtual office
- A committed and awesome team serving a community-driven organization
- Competitive compensations and benefits
- Flexible work hours and tools to support our virtual office environment
- Work from anywhere
- Budget to choose your preferred laptop and software you need
Send a cover letter, your resume, links to your portfolio and/or work examples and a pirate joke to work[at]orcid.org.
By clicking the “Apply for Job” button, you will likely be redirected to a web page outside of our website. We cannot be held responsible for external sites’ content. Please take reasonable steps to confirm that you’re actually dealing with a company representative, not an impostor.Apply for this Job