We’re looking for a Head of Security to join the Engineering team at Zapier. Zapier’s on a mission to make everyone more productive at work. Over 3 million professionals already use Zapier to save more time, but there are millions more to reach. As the Head of Security at Zapier, you will be responsible for building out our security strategy. You will work closely with your managers, peers, and executives to staff teams and execute on a multifaceted security strategy.
If you’re interested in launching your career at a fast-growing and profitable startup, then read on…
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
You’ve managed or scaled engineering organizations. You’re a skilled and experienced engineering leader who has built teams working on security SaaS-based products with modern tech stacks. You’ve managed teams of managers and tech leads and helped each manager and team be successful.
You can keep track of, prioritize, and lead multiple projects. We’re a small team, and there’s no shortage of things you could be doing in a day. You’ll carve out time for functional projects and make sure they solve real problems the team faces — ideally making development even easier.
You have excellent communication skills. You regularly work with engineers and other stakeholders from various disciplines, balancing security concerns, such as endpoint security, with product concerns. Ideally, you find solutions that address both the team and user needs but if not, help build understanding around difficult decisions.
You are a skilled security expert. You’ve got a strong background working with security tools, implementing detection and response mechanisms, running red team exercises, compliance implementation — even if you aren’t involved in these on a day to day basis, you are very familiar with the security needs within an engineering organization. You’re familiar with OWASP Top Ten and how to effectively guard against common vulnerabilities.
You can sell your vision for security to the organization. You have a vision for building a security discipline across a growing organization, the ability to communicate your vision to others, and the ability to implement your vision with teams to get results. You learn from others and continuously adapt your vision to match the needs of the company.
You are a skilled mentor and coach. You have a passion and a track record of mentoring engineers and leaders while at the same time growing your own skills. You realize the best way to grow a team is by helping them to grow themselves. You’re able to effectively share your experience and provide a clear framework for growth. You’re adaptable. You’ve been in fast growing companies and know how to build, change, and adapt to the needs of a company as it grows.
Things You’ll Do
Zapier is a small, fast-growing, and remote-first company, so you’ll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. That said, here are some things you’ll probably do:
- Protect our millions of customers from having their API credentials compromised or put at risk.
- Design the future of our security organization, including enhancing our security strategy for our products and company.
- Work closely with your engineering, peer design, and product functions to create a trio of that tackles user problems and solutions.
- Develop effective ways to communicate, monitor, and lead your team through weekly one-on-ones and team meetings.
- Keep the leadership team informed on your team’s progress in ways that are easy and enjoyable to receive, like one-on-ones, update posts, and regular team hangouts.
- Build rapport with each member of the Engineering Team and support them through coaching and mentorship to help level up their skills.
- Participate in code reviews, learning and spreading technical knowledge throughout Zapier — moving knowledge to documentation where appropriate.
- Collaborate across various disciplines (Product Managers, Designers, Researchers) to help set technical roadmaps that will achieve security goals through engineering and organizational best practices.
- Actively recruit, onboard, and train new security engineers at Zapier. This might involve tweaking the skills portions of interviews or writing better documentation.
- As part of our All Hands Support initiative, help customers have the best experience with Zapier as possible.
For the past seven years, Zapier has been helping people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have big impact with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
The Whole Package
Location: Wherever you currently live!
Zapier is a 100% remote company. If you want to work remote, that’s great. If you want to work near others, that’s cool too. Our distributed company lets us work with the best people. You don’t have to be located in the USA either. Some team members live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, India, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more! You just need the skills and drive to succeed in this role and the ability to work from anywhere.
- Competitive salary (we don’t use remote as an excuse to pay less)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- Profit sharing
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We’ll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn’t a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you’ll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
*While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to US-based employees.
How to ApplyWe have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate. Please make sure to answer each question. After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don’t seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
Optional: Share anonymously some demographic information about yourself to help us better track trends related to the backgrounds of candidates interested in working at Zapier in order for us to build a team that represents the users at Zapier and the broader world population.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We’re excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.
By clicking the “Apply for Job” button, you will likely be redirected to a web page outside of our website. We cannot be held responsible for external sites’ content. Please take reasonable steps to confirm that you’re actually dealing with a company representative, not an impostor.Apply for this Job